Tax services

Worldwide tax summaries Asian Tax and Advisory Webcast Series

China Tax/Business News Flash 

View this page in: 简体中文版 

Oct 2013, Issue 25

Easier to substantiate Hong Kong tax resident status under the HK-Mainland CDTA

Recently the State Administration of Taxation (SAT) issued the Public Notice [2013] No. 53 (Public Notice 53) addressing the guidelines for recognition of the Hong Kong tax resident status under the comprehensive double tax arrangement (CDTA) entered between Hong Kong and the Mainland (the HK-Mainland CDTA). Effective from 1 November 2013, Hong Kong incorporated companies can substantiate its Hong Kong tax resident status in application for a treaty benefit under the HK-Mainland CDTA without having to obtain a Hong Kong tax resident certificate (HKTRC). For non-Hong Kong incorporated companies, they still have to obtain a HKTRC issued by the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department (HKIRD). Mainland tax authorities have become more receptive to the HKTRC issued by the HKIRD, but there are specific circumstances whereby the Mainland tax authorities would require further assessment on the tax residency of the applicant.

Other issues of China Tax/Business News Flash
Visit our Tax Library.
Peter Ng
China and Hong Kong Tax Leader
Tel: +[86] (21) 2323 1828 Email
Edwin Wong
Tel: +[86] (10) 6533 2100 Email
Charles Lee
China South Tax Leader
Tel: +[86] (755) 8261 8899 Email